utorak, 18. listopada 2011.

Hackintosh and input lag

It's enormous!

You really cannot believe it's there. Even if I use a massive CRT monitor the mouse still lags (although not as much). I can really "feel" input lag because I was a FPS player and I can figure out the slightest twitch... pretty epic, but useless :)

But what's really strange, nothing in Windows and Linux.

Somehow I couldn't get to the root of the problem. USB drivers perhaps (kexts)? I tried installing Logitech drivers for the mouse, and the lag is less obvious but still there.

Then, VOILA! The problem is in the crappy mouse acceleration and pointer smoothing algorithm that does the job so badly you cannot really get the "feel" for the mouse cursor. The pointer behaves strange, compared to the Windows' or Linux's mouse smoothing method. After a simple shell command:

defaults write .GlobalPreferences com.apple.mouse.scaling -1

The acceleration is gone. Let's rejoice :))

Perhaps it's a matter of getting used to? Sure, a smart man wrote something about Windows vs. Mac Font smoothing system. Mac users like Mac smoothing, and Windows like Windows smoothing. Then that must be the case.

OFFTOPIC HERE:
I personally like Windows method. It's much sharper than the Mac OS X, and it's more readable on screen. There are many blog posts about the Mac OS X vs Windows, so I'm not really going into anything here. But of course, you must always see both sides of the medal. So I blame nobody, OK? And that's OK :)

BACKTOPIC HERE:
But I'm not really ready to accept that solution just yet. I'll continue research.

If that happens on a real Mac with Mac OS X and it's Magic Mouse (the lag and crappy acceleration method), then I'll personally call an Apple Genius guy or girl and explain him or her the Smoothing algorithm and the math behind all that to make him or her feel bad and buy me a real Mac!!!!1111oneleven

Maybe I just want a Mac? I won't say that I don't want one, but I just currently can't afford one. And that's NOT OK :)

3 komentara:

  1. But there's a difference between input lag and the acceleration curve when moving the mouse. On my Hackintosh I notice that there's noticeably longer delay than usual when moving the mouse until the cursor on screen responds. This is not the case with the Macs I have at work. I also don't notice this as much in Windows 8 that I also run on my computer.

    Hmmm… Wonder what's causing this… Will try the ”defaults write” command you suggest here and see if I notice any difference.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. And about the fonts. They look much better on OS X. It's objectively true. ;)

      No, but at leas they stay more true to the printed font. I think it looks mich better in OS X (and so does most graphic designers).

      Izbriši